Five Tips How To Safely Lose Post-Baby Weight
After you have a baby, your body is going to go through a lot of changes. In the first few months after giving birth, it’s not uncommon to be dealing with physical issues like exhaustion and hormonal fluctuations. But many new moms also find themselves struggling with the extra weight they put on during the pregnancy. Here are five tips for how to safely lose post-baby weight:
1. Set Realistic Goals
It’s important to set realistic goals when it comes to losing post-baby weight. You can’t expect to lose all of that excess weight overnight - it took nine months to put it on, so give yourself some time! Start by setting reasonable short-term goals and then focus on those one at a time. This will help you stay motivated and focused in the long run.
2. Get Moving
Exercise plays an important role when it comes to losing post-baby weight. Even if you don’t feel up for intense workouts right away, there are plenty of gentle activities that can get your heart rate up and help you burn calories while still being mindful of your body’s needs as you recover from childbirth. Try taking walks around your neighborhood or these 5 exercises:
1. Squats - Squats are one of the best exercises to do postpartum, as they strengthen your core, glutes, and legs. Grab onto a chair or something stable to you can get deep into the squat.
2. Lunges - Lunges are another great exercise that are easy to adjust depending on your level of fitness. There are many variations of lunges you can do to progress the movement: https://youtube.com/shorts/TYmgvDT7iUQ?feature=share
3. Resistance Band Arm Exercises- start getting your strength back with resistance bands! They are a great way to gain strength without putting too much stress on your joints. Try these exercises: https://youtube.com/shorts/JtBgJXwAmGY?feature=share
4. Planks - Core strength is an important part of postpartum recovery, so include planks in your workouts to target the abdominals and back.Try 3 sets of 20 second plank holds throughout the day. Each week, add another 10 seconds.
5. Push-Ups - Push-ups help tone your upper body and build strength quickly – great for busy moms! Challenge: Try 2 sets of 10 push ups throughout the day 3-5x per week, then increase the number of sets by 1 each week until you get up to 100 push ups in one day!
3. Eat Well
Eating healthy is key when it comes to trying to shed those extra pounds after having a baby. Focus on eating nutrient-dense foods like fruits and veggies, lean proteins, and whole grains - these will give you energy while fueling your body’s natural ability to burn fat. Be careful about fad diets or trendy “quick fixes” - these can often do more harm than good in the long run, so make sure any diet plan you undertake is safe and healthy for both you and your baby!
4. Stay Hydrated
Staying hydrated is essential for helping your body flush out toxins and aiding in digestion - two things that can help jumpstart weight loss efforts! Aim for drinking 8-10 glasses of water per day (more if you are breastfeeding). You can also opt for naturally flavored fruit waters or herbal teas if plain water isn't quite doing it for you!
5. Get Support
Having a baby is an overwhelming experience - physically, mentally, and emotionally - so don't be afraid to reach out for support! Find other new moms in your area who may be going through similar struggles or join an online support group where members share tips and advice with each other. Having people around who understand what you're going through makes all the difference!
Now that we've gone over five tips for how to lose post-baby weight safely, don't forget one last thing – take care of yourself too! Make sure to give yourself some "me" time by taking naps when possible or getting out into nature whenever possible – these little moments will keep you feeling refreshed as well as motivated on days when shedding those extra pounds feels especially tough! Good luck on this journey – you got this mama!